ALTHOUGH I still have to be on bed rest, I am looking forward to hitting my second trimester. Hopefully the dizziness, grouchiness, and sluggishness I’m feeling will slowly disappear.

At the moment, I can’t even seem to want to brush my hair. The only thing that seems inviting is to soak in the tub to ward off the unbearable heat, which seems to be radiating from my body. Now I know why they say every pregnancy is different.

A few weeks back, I was with my son in Powerplant and bumped into Daphne OseƱa-Paez. It was only after five minutes of chatting that I noticed she was pregnant. But she looked so good!

It also surprised me to find out she was on her third trimester. I asked her to share five pampering tips for pregnant women since I know we sometimes need help in taking care of ourselves at this delicate time.

Here’s what Daphne shared:

Get a pedicure. An occasional pedicure won’t hurt. But stay away from foot spas, since they can trigger contractions. It’s best to bring your own pedicure gadgets so you are sure the items are clean. Since you will most likely wear flats and open-toed shoes for a few months, having pretty toes can really be a boost.
Have your hair shampooed and blow-dried at a salon. Pregnant women should stay away from chemical treatments and hair-dyes. In order to feel glamorous or, at least, neat, I have been treating myself to regular washes and blowouts at the salon, in the process discovering some inexpensive neighborhood places. Sometimes I bring my own shampoo, conditioner and brushes to ensure quality and hygiene.
The service? Not bad for P150.

When I’m due for a major function or appearance, I head to Emphasis Salon.
Go for regular facial cleaning with a dermatologist. Just because you’re pregnant doesn’t mean you should forget about skin care. There are creams and ointments that are forbidden for pregnant women, such as retinoic acid and other whitening products. Given the hormonal imbalance that can cause breakouts and darkening, a visit to a dermatologist can help.

I haven’t stopped going for monthly cleaning with my dermatologist, Doctor Gilbert Yang. No lasers and fancy creams for me; he just cleans my pores and clears away whiteheads. When my skin gets too dry, I apply Olay Total Effects.

Slather on tummy cream. I don’t believe any cream or oil can totally eradicate the stretch marks. But some products can give relief from dryness and itchiness (scratching eventually might cause scars).

During my first two pregnancies, I splurged on Clarins Tonic Oil. I didn’t get any stretch marks. For this pregnancy, I’ve discovered a more budget-friendly solution to my dry and itchy growing tummy: Palmer’s Organics Tummy Butter for Stretch Marks. It’s one-fifth cheaper than Clarins Tonic Oil. It has Vitamin E, collagen, elastin and soothing lavender, and it’s paraben-free and mineral oil-free. I get the same relief at a much lower price. And I love the smell.

Wear makeup and get dressed up. I was in a rut during my first trimester. All I wanted to do was lie in bed like a sloth. But because I had to continue working (as host of “Urban Zone”), I had to get dolled up at least once a week. I had to wear nice outfits and full makeup.

For those who don’t work in front of the camera, I highly suggest you make an effort to look good. Even minimal makeup can boost your mood and self-image. Put on some lip gloss and blush. Or if you want to go the extra mile, play with eye makeup.

Now is also the time to enjoy fashion. There are a lot of non-maternity clothes available off-the-rack, and these can take you up to your 40th week.


Source

0 comments: